Sustainable Luxury Holidays for the Eco-conscious
About Banceithin and our self-catering cottages
When we bought Banceithin in September 2008 it had not been worked as a farm for many years, and the old farm buildings, which date back to the 1800's, were still stone ruins. Our goal in bringing Banceithin back to life is to provide the highest quality holiday accommodation while minimising the impact on the environment. Our principal aim is to run Banceithin and our holiday cottages as sustainably as possible.
We were delighted to achieve a Gold level award in the national Green Tourism Business Scheme. We have also been awarded a place in the Alistair Sawday's Ethical Places Collection, including qualifying for their Community, Food and Environment stamps.
Here are just some of the "green" actions we have undertaken:
- Materials for the renovations were recycled from the original buildings.
- Waste water is treated through a bespoke reed bed filtration system.
- Heating and hot water is provided by a wood fired boiler in a carbon neutral system. Wood for the boiler, and for the wood burning stove in each cottage, is sourced from a local supplier.
- Cwt Mochyn cottage has solar thermal panels installed on the roof to help heat the hot water.
- In summer 2011 we installed a 4kW Solar PV system which satisfies a large proportion of our electricity demand, with Ecotricity making up any deficit.
- All new wood in the cottages, including flooring, is Forest Stewardship Council certified, and minimal / low VOC or VOC free wall paint has been used throughout.
- Much of the furniture is secondhand, the most notable pieces being sourced through "Upcyclers".
- Bed and bath linen provided in the cottages is made from organic and/or Fair Trade cotton.
- Only eco-friendly products are used in the cleaning of the holiday cottages and 100% natural and bio-degradable washing up liquid and hand soap are provided for use by guests.
- Recycling and kitchen waste composting facilities are provided on site.
There's always more that we can and continue to do, but by taking the few simple steps set out in our Responsible Visitor Charter, all our guests can help us achieve our goal.
See the independent review of Banceithin as featured in the eco specials of Etc. magazine (Sussex, July 2011), Image magazine (Northamptonshire, March 2011) and the Northampton Chronicle (12th March 2011).
Installing solar thermal tubes on the roof of Cwt Mochyn
"The cottage was very comfortable and proof that neither luxury nor eco-credentials need be compromised." - Katja & John, London
"Really enjoyed talking to David about the boiler and solar panels. Wonderful to stay in a luxurious cottage which is at the same time environmentally responsible." - Beccy, Lancashire
As one of 20 Green Tourism Business Scheme member finalists (representing the top 2% of the greenest businesses in the UK and Ireland), Banceithin was Highly Commended in both the Goldstar & Carbon Footprint categories in the Green Tourism Week Awards 2011.